Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Twitter Strategy For The Radio Industry

Stumble Upon Toolbar
Last week I blogged about my desire to "Move Beyond Social Media Theory" and to discuss execution...

Let the FUN begin!!!


I want to start by discussing one of the verticals which is near and dear to me...The Radio Industry.

My Media background is in Radio which you can find here LinkedIn. Since I have such an extensive background in Media it made sense to have my first Social Media clients be from this Vertical.

The slide above is pulled from a presentation I did for some Radio clients (removing their names to protect the innocent) on Twitter Strategy and displays the multi-level benefits of Twitter. The slide also demonstrates the level of knowledge you need to gain about a client's business before you can truly execute an effective Twitter campaign. There are multiple channels within a business that can be affected by a Twitter Strategy and your job is to understand how you can positively affect each one of those channels.

The REAL Social Media Professionals who are out there working with clients know the real story. Understand a business completely then you can figure how to implement an effective Twitter Strategy for them.

Let's look at all the opportunities created for Radio with a Twitter Strategy:
  1. Real Time Research
  2. Promotional Channel
  3. Increase Listener Engagement
  4. Build Brand Loyalty
  5. Content Distribution Channel
  6. Real-Time Content Tracking
  7. Track & Participate in Station Conversations (Brand Management)
  8. Station Marketing
  9. Drive Website Traffic
  10. Drive Streaming Traffic
  11. Build Local Audience
  12. Build National Audience
  13. Decrease Marketing Expenses
  14. Increase Revenue
  15. Competitive Analysis
When you look at the above list don't you think OMG? I do since there is so much opportunity sitting right there just by using Twitter effectively!

Can you guess the one thing a Radio Station or Media Company HAS to do in order to make any of the above 15 points really effective?

They need to engage with their followers...2-way conversations. 1-way communication is dead!

I have watched this concept blow away Program Directors because they had never thought of it before. I make them feel better by explaining most companies don't get it and now they are ahead of most:)

My next post will dive deeper into those 15 points listed above.

Mello

I can be reached at jeff.mello@buzzcal.com

No comments:

Post a Comment